The Chinhoyi Mission was entrusted to the German Jesuits in 1958 and remained part of the Archdiocese of Harare until the erection of a separate Prefecture and the appointment of Msgr. Helmut Reckter SJ as Perfect Apostolic on 22 February 1974.
On 5 January 1986, it was raised to the status of a Diocese with Msgr. Helmut Reckter SJ becoming its first bishop. Bishop Helmut Reckter died 10 March 2004.
The last bishop of Chinhoyi, Dieter B. Scholz SJ was appointed his successor by Pope Benedict XVI on 7 March 2006 and ordained as Bishop of Chinhoyi on 2 September 2006. After his retirement on 17 Feb 2016, the diocese stays under Archbishop Robert Christopher Ndlovu as its Apostolic Administrator.
The diocese comprises of the civil districts of Makonde, Hurungwe, Kariba (East of Sanyati River), Guruve, Centenary, Mount Darwin and Rushinga (North of Mazowe River).
Area: 56 000 square kilometres
Population: 2 000 000
Catholics: 100 000
Patrons: St Kizito & St Francis Xavier
| 26 Robson Manyika Drive, P.O.Box 680, Chinhoyi
Tel: 067 225 62
Fax: 067 222 17