Fort Victoria Prefecture, named after the town Fort Victoria, now Masvingo, was erected on 14 November 1946 and committed to the care of the Bethlehem Fathers (S.M.B.) of Switzerland. The Mission was until that date part of the Salisbury Vicariate. When the Hierarchy was established in this country on 1st January 1955, the Vicariate of Fort Victoria became the Diocese of Gweru. In 1999, the Diocese was sub-divided and the new Diocese of Masvingo was created. The first Bishop of Gweru Diocese was Bishop Alois Haene who resigned and was succeeded by Bishop Tobias Chiginya. Bishop Francis Xavier Mugadzi succeeded Bishop Chiginya who died after a car accident on 14 January 1987. The fourth bishop of Gweru was Bishop Emeritus Martin Munyanyi who resigned and paved way for the late Bishop Xavier Munyongani who died on 15 October 2017.
The Diocese comprises of the following civil districts, Gweru, Kwekwe, Shurugwi, Chirumhanzu, Zvishavane and Mberengwa.
Area: 29 158 square kilometres
Population: 1 521 000
Catholics: 381 659
Diocesan Feastday: Mary Help of Christians (24 May)
77 Kopje Road,
Box 622, Gweru
Tel: (054) 223565 Fax: (054) 223381/223181