The Archdiocese is but a fragment of the original Zambesi Mission which was entrusted to the Fathers of the Society of Jesus by Propaganda, on the 2nd of July 1879. In 1893 the Portuguese territory was cut off and in 1927 the erection of the Broken Hill Prefecture further reduced the vast area to about half. The erection of the Independent Mission of Bulawayo (now Archdiocese) in 1930, reduced the area to 280,912 square km. In 1946 ten civil districts and part of an eleventh became the Prefecture of Fort Victoria (now the Diocese of Gweru) and were confided to the Bethlehem Fathers. In 1953 the districts of Makoni, Inyanga (Nyanga) and Umtali (Mutare) with Melsetter (Chimanimani) and Chipinga (Chipinge) from Fort Victoria Prefecture were formed into the Umtali Prefecture (now Mutare Diocese). Selukwe (Shurugwi, Gwelo (Gweru), and Que Que (Kwekwe) were transferred to the Fort Victoria Vicariate (now Diocese of Gweru.) Sebungwe became part of the Wankie Prefecture (now Hwange Diocese). In 1974 the districts of Darwin, Lomagundi, Sipolilo (Guruve), Urungwe and that part of Kariba east of the Umniati River were formed into the Sinoia Prefecture (now Chinhoyi Diocese). This further reduced the area by 54 345 sq. km. The Archdiocese now comprises the civil districts of Mazowe, Bindura, Shamva, Murewa, Rushinga (south of the Mazowe river), Mudzi, Mutoko, Kadoma, Chegutu, Harare, Goromonzi, Seke, Marondera, Charter, Wedza and Buhera.
Area: 63,555 sq. km
Population: 4 866 000
Catholics: 483 293
Diocesan Feastday: St Peter Claver (9 September
Archbishop’s House, 66 Fifth Street, P. O.Box CY 330, Causeway, Harare