The Prefecture of Hwange, cut off from the Apostolic Vicariates of Salisbury and Bulawayo was erected on 29th June 1953 and confided to the Fathers of the Spanish Mission Institute (SMI). The first Prefect Apostolic was Mgr Francis Font, 1953-1955 (+1961), followed by Mgr Dominic Ros, 1955-1963 (+1966). On 1st March 1963, the Prefecture of Hwange became a Diocese. On 3rd July 1991, the civil district of Gokwe, the area of Omay between the Sengwa and Sanyati rivers in the Kariba district, and the area of the Nkayi district north of the Shangani river, were cut from the Diocese of Hwange and formed into the Diocese of Gokwe.
The Diocese of Hwange comprises the following civil districts: Hwange, Binga, and the part of Lupane north of the Shabula river. It is bounded on the North by Zambezi river, on the West by Botswana, on the East by the civil districts of Omay, Gokwe, Lupane and on the South by Nyamandlovu.
Area: 43,427 square kilometres
Diocesan Feastday: The Immaculate Conception of Mary (8 December)
| Bishop’s House, Old Bulawayo Road, P.O.Box 25, Hwange
Tel: 081 223 25
Fax: 081 222 60
E-mail : email@example.com