The Prefecture Apostolic of Mutare was erected on the 2nd of February 1953. It was entrusted to the care of the Carmelite Fathers of the Irish Province. The territory consists of parts divided from the Vicariates of Salisbury (Harare) and Fort Victoria (Masvingo), and comprises the greater part of the administrative Province of Manicaland. On February 15 1957, the Prefecture was raised to the status of a Diocese.The civil districts included in the Diocese are Maungwe, Mutasa, Mutare, Nyanga, Chimanimani and Chipinge.
Area: 32,202 square kilometres
Diocesan Feastday: Our Lady of Mount Carmel (16 July)
Bishop’s House, Marymount Rd, P.O.Box 47, Mutare,